Monday, October 11, 2010

Skinny Jeans: to keep or not to keep, that is the question

Since my debut into the thirties I have been facing up to a few bad habits, such as holding onto what I considered "my skinny jeans". Call it my baby blanket or a soft, mangled  little bunny (Mr. Jangles) with one ear and a missing button nose, but these are the same jeans that I used to wear when I was in high school, that was over a decade ago! When do I start attending Hoarders Anonymous?  So I finally decided that it was time to let the extra weight (in jeans) go.  This is a trap that women have been getting caught in for centuries 
( I can only imagine) how do we sensibly (economically rather) let go of our clothes that have become too small and move into a new set?  Is it emotionally healthy to keep a pair of jeans (or whatever it may be) that we may not ever fit into again, or should we only keep what fits and lose the rest?  I, like a lot of other woman, have this predisposition that if I hold onto that sweet pair of jeans, that I am so close (but yet so far away) to fitting into that it will encourage me to lost that extra weight and once again parade around the streets of the world with the jeans that show off my "fabulously tight ass".  

Here is my answer....pass!  Yes pass.  Isn't it more fun to change our look, to embrace who we are (all 10 +/- over what we'd like to be)? I have this new rule.  I pass them on to someone else as I go. So for example I pull out that favorite green turtle neck from last fall and it seems to have shrunk (the dryer did it!!) AND it does not fit me well....and when I mean well I mean FABULOUS then I toss it in a pass bag that hangs on the doorknob of my closet door...NO looking back! (TIP:  What ever you do, never look in that bag!!) You can feel really good about throwing these once coveted apparels in that PASS bag because once it is full (or half full for the weak of heart) you bring the bag to the local second hand store.  It feels nice to do this, plus you are no longer deceiving yourself by allowing that piece to hang in your closet. Besides it makes space for new, awesome finds :)

I am going to share  a few tips on how to know, if you are indecisive, on whether you should pass or keep:

  • If your bra strap cuts into your skin: PASS
  • If the entire length of your bra strap is visible from the back of your shirt or under your arms: PASS 
  • If you have to lay down to zip or button your pants: PASS
  • If the entire outline of your underwear is visible: PASS
  • If when you lift up, your shirt reveals your mid section: PASS
  • If your shirt is meant to be long sleeved, but when you stretch your arms out it yanks past the joint in your wrist: PASS
  • If the cuff of your pants is higher then the midsection of your shoe: PASS
  • If anything you are wearing cuts into the skin anywhere on the body or causes a visible fold in the skin: PASS

A FEW MORE TIPS:
I just learned that when we wash our pants they shrink up not in, to keep the integrity of the length hang your pants to dry rather than using a dryer if you can.

Cotton shrinks, hang dry. I have had to pass a few things that I would of liked to have kept by over drying, this will shorten the life span of your clothes so do read labels.

I hope this is helpful information. Key concepts: Get rid of your skinny jeans by donating them to Goodwill or a second hand store, it always feels good to do something good.  Lose some weight today (in fabric) and dress your best by wearing what feels nice and compliments your body shape, you will be fabulous instantly!  

No comments:

Post a Comment